top of page
  • jsty23

Tourist Visa to the USA: B1/B2 visa

A tourist visa to the USA offers some challenges. The US Embassy "assumes" that you will be using this visa to circumvent the visa process for a quick, cheap and easy way to enter the USA. Therefore it is up to the foreign national to convince the Consular during the interview that they are ONLY using the B1/B2 tourist / business visa for that intended use and will return to your home country.

Visit the U.S.

Generally, if you want to visit (and not live in) the United States you must first obtain a visitor visa. Travelers from certain countries may be exempt from this requirement. For more information, please see the U.S. Department of State website.

If you want to travel to the United States for reasons other than business or pleasure, you must apply for a visa in the appropriate category. This includes if you want to study, work as a crew member or journalist, etc. You can get help determining which visa you need by using the Explore My Options page.

Extending Your Visit If Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authorizes your admission to the United States at the designated port of entry, you will receive a stamped Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure. If you wish to stay beyond the time indicated on the Form I-94, you may apply for an extension by filing Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, with USCIS.

If You Lose Form I-94 You may apply for a replacement Form I-94 by filing a Form I-102, Application for Replacement/Initial Nonimmigrant Arrival/Departure Record.

6 views0 comments


bottom of page